What do you get when you raise skin cancer awareness in London with bikini-clad models bronzed with Tanorganic and torrential rain? Huffington Post’s 2nd Best Image from Around the World of course!!
One month of rain bucketed down in just a few hours, you’d expect this to be worst weather to promote an all-natural and organic fake tan and a #safetanning campaign but it was thanks to the rain that our campaign trended 3rd on UK twitter and our photos made it into coveted UK newspapers, both online and print! No matter how cloudy and rainy it is, UVA rays are always present. It gives a new meaning to Tanning in the Rain!
11 beautiful Irish models from Assets Models and Miss Ireland Bikini, Judy Fitzgerald, flew over from Dublin to London in their bikinis. I met them in Victoria Station to lead the #safetanning skin cancer awareness campaign into the heart of London. With the world’s tallest fake tan bottle and a dance mob in tow, it turned out to be quite the adventure!
(A video of our campaign is at the end of this post)
Having lived in Rome, Italy for 4 years, I have always been really passionate about the importance of protecting your skin from the sun. Not only to prevent skin cancer but to stop premature aging. Yes a tan looks nice, but ending up like a prune isn’t! I liken tanning in the sun to putting a piece of bread into a toaster, over time your skin will become dry and shriveled up just like a piece of toast. Wear SPF and get your tan from a bottle instead. Everyone knows that the pink ribbon is for breast cancer, but did you know that the black ribbon is for skin cancer?
A closer look at my outfit:
- The dress (from TK Max) was pretty plain until I added a man’s belt from Primark (Pennys) and stand out accessories.
- My earrings are from Clare’s Accessories.
- My fab neckpiece is from: Blue Port, London W6 8JA. Their ebay shop is: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/365fashions
The UK and Irish Print Media Coverage on our #safetanning campaign:
- Sunday independent Newspaper: 2 page spread in the pg. 32 and 33
- Dailymail.co.uk Femail Section: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3196671/Models-wearing-skimpy-orange-bikinis-drenched-parade-London-torrential-rain-promote-bronzing-lotion.html
- Dailymail.co.uk New Section: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3195768/Month-s-rain-two-days-summer-washed-away-England-weather-warning-hail-lightning-flooding-forecast.html
- Irishpost.co.uk: http://irishpost.co.uk/inspirational-irish-cancer-survivor-brings-her-safe-tanning-message-to-london-in-style/
- Hufftington Post.co.uk: http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/08/13/pictures-of-the-day_n_7980652.html
- Metro Newspaper England: Page 11
- Daily Star: Front Page Mirror and page 5
A video of our Tanorganic #safetanning campaign: